The program is designed to assess candidates’ competency in Managing Major Emergencies. The criteria used in the assessment meets OPITO standards. Competency is determined utilizing evidence gathered during four (4) simulated emergency response scenarios which relate to the candidates’ own installation environment. This program applies to offshore installation managers (OIM), and those designated to succeed the OIM in emergency situations. It is also applicable to other senior managers of offshore installations and other potential leaders of emergency situations.
A team of independent assessors who have extensive, relevant experience and formal training (SQA /OPITO accreditation) will conduct assessments. The assessment will focus on the candidate’s command and control ability and his/her ability to manage major emergencies, not on technical details. Evidence to support a candidate’s competency is gathered by assessors during realistic emergency response scenarios and also using a range of methods including observation, testing, witness testimony, and formal interviews.
The assessment will include, as a minimum, the candidates:
- Ability to maintain a state of readiness
- Knowledge of contingency planning, emergency response procedures and drills and exercises
- Knowledge and ability to utilize resources
- Ability to assess a situation, prioritize and implement effective action
- Ability to maintain effective communications in emergency situations
- Ability to effectively delegate authority
- Knowledge of human factors as applicable to emergency situations
- Ability to manage individuals and teams in emergencies
- Ability to deal with stress in self and others
This program may be completed in conjunction with the four-day (30-hour) Command & Control and Management of Major Emergencies course. If completed as a separate activity a minimum of one day (7.5 hours) will be required per candidate.
- Command & Control and Management of Major Emergencies
- A statement of health form completed on the first day of the course.
- A valid Government Identification is required and must be presented for registration and to the instructor on the first day of course commencement. (Driver’s License, Passport, Vantage card)
All persons who successfully complete the course based on the performance standards will receive:
- Certification confirming compliance to OPITO standards from Survival Systems Training.
Request Information or Register