The aim of the course is to refresh the seafarers’ skills in basic emergency duties, and fire fighting techniques and fire/emergency response planning.
Seafarers qualified in advanced firefighting in accordance with Chapter VI, Section A-VI/3, paragraph 4 of the STCW Convention shall be required, every 5 years, to provide evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence to undertake the tasks, duties, and responsibilities listed in column 1 of table A-VI/3 of the Convention.
This course meets the requirements of Chapter VI, Section A-VI/3, paragraph 5 of the STCW Convention, including the 2010 Manilla Amendments.
This program includes
- Safety Principles
- Fire Cause and Prevention
- Fire fighting gear, and regulatory requirements
- Fire fighting systems, including hydrants, hoses, and nozzles
- Fixed fire extinguishing systems
- Structural fire protection
- Training of crew members, including communication and ventilation
- Management and control of injured persons
- Case study review
Practical training includes:
- Main Vessel fire fighting systems, including hose work
- Inspection of fire fighting equipment
- Extensive use of portable fire fighting arrangements
- Rescue operations, including care and control of casualty
Minimum of 15 hours
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- A person must hold a training certificate in MED with respect to Advanced Fire Fighting or equivalent under subsection 2.2 of Chapter 2 of TP 4957E to take this course.
- Trainees are expected to be in a good state of health and physically capable of fully taking part in all program activities. Trainees are expected to participate in all physical training requirements.
- A statement of health form completed on the first day of the course. A valid Medical Certificate, preferably the Mariners Medical, is required to be submitted prior to start of course. See “General Information: Medical Fitness” for full details.
- A valid Government Identification is required and must be presented for registration and to the instructor on the first day of course commencement. (Driver’s License, Passport, Vantage card)
WITHOUT EXCEPTION, those trainees in non-compliance will be refused and billed the full program fee.
All persons who successfully complete the course based on the performance standards will receive:
- A Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for STCW Advanced Fire Fighting REFRESHER.
Request Information or Register