This course is designed to comply with the regulations and to refresh the seafarer’s skills in basic emergency duties through demonstrations and practical skills and exercises, and will allow seafarers to renew training for STCW BS, PSC, and AFF for a period not exceeding 5 years.
This course meets the requirements of STCW Convention chapter VI, Section A-VI/1, paragraph 3, and chapter VI, Section A-VI/2 paragraph 5, and chapter VI, Section A-VI/3, paragraph 5.
This program will cover:
- Introduction and Safety
- Hazards and Emergencies
- Lifesaving Appliances and Abandonment
- Rescue Boats
- Liferafts, rigid hull liferafts and marine evacuation systems
- Survival, First Aid, and rescue
- Helicopter Assistance
- Fire Cause and Prevention
- Firefighting systems
- Training of crew members
- Management and control of injured persons
- Lessons Learned, case studies
30.5 hours, normally 4 days
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Trainees are expected to be in a good state of health and physically capable of fully taking part in all program activities. Trainees are expected to participate in all physical training requirements. A statement of health form completed on the first day of the course.
- A valid Medical Certificate is required to be submitted prior to start of course. See “FAQ`s -Medical Fitness” for full details. However, applicants are advised to complete the Mariners Medical examination by a Transport Canada approved physician before applying for this course. The Mariners Medical is a requirement to serve onboard a commercial vessel. A list of approved physicians can be obtained from the local Transport Canada Marine Safety office or searching on Transport Canada’s marine web page for Designated Physicians or go online at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/training-examination-certification/medical.html
- A valid Government Identification is required and must be presented for registration and to the instructor on the first day of course commencement. (Driver’s License, Passport, Vantage card)
WITHOUT EXCEPTION, trainees who arrive without a current medical certificate will be refused the course and the company/individual will be charged an administration fee for cancellation.
All persons who successfully complete the course based on the performance standards will receive:
- A Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for STCW Basic Safety Refresher, and a Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher, and a Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for Advanced Fire Fighting
Request Information or Register