This course is designed to comply with the regulations and to refresh the seafarer’s skills in basic emergency duties through demonstrations and practical skills and exercises, and will allow seafarers to renew training for STCW BS and PSC for a period not exceeding 5 years.
This course meets the requirements of STCW Convention chapter VI, Section A-VI/1, paragraph 3, and chapter VI, Section A-VI/2 paragraph 5.
This program will cover:
- Introduction and Safety
- Hazards and Emergencies
- Lifesaving Appliances and Abandonment
- Rescue Boats
- Liferafts, rigid hull liferafts and marine evacuation systems
- Survival, First Aid, and rescue
- Helicopter Assistance
- Concept and application of the fire triangle to fire and explosion
- Selection of fire fighting appliances and equipment
25 hours, normally three (3) days
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- A valid Medical Certificate is required to be submitted prior to start of course. See “General Information: Medical Fitness” for full details. However, applicants are advised to complete the Mariners Medical examination by a Transport Canada approved physician before applying for this course. The Mariners Medical is a requirement to serve onboard a commercial vessel. A list of approved physicians can be obtained from the local Transport Canada Marine Safety office or searching on Transport Canada’s marine web page for Designated Physicians or go online at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/training-examination-certification/medical.html
- A valid Government Identification is required and must be presented for registration and to the instructor on the first day of course commencement. (Driver’s License, Passport, Vantage card)
WITHOUT EXCEPTION, trainees who arrive without a current medical certificate will be refused the course and the company/individual will be charged an administration fee for cancellation.
All persons who successfully complete the course based on the performance standards will receive:
- A Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for STCW Basic Safety Refresher, and a Transport Canada EXN 24 certificate of completion for Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher.
Request Information or Register
[gravityform id=”1″ title=”true”]