This program is designed to provide workers with the knowledge and skills to work with hazardous materials and respond to an uncontrolled release or spill in a safe and effective manner. This program is a skills-based session, which will enable trainees to use specialized personal protective equipment for active Hazmat cleanup, control and containment. This program will enable clients to meet relevant portions of OSHA 1910.120 (HAZWHOPER), NFPA Standard 472, Standard for Professional Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials Incidents, and provincial and federal regulations.
This program covers hazards, worker and responder safety and the use of specialized protective clothing and equipment for the active control and cleanup of Hazmat spills. Trainees will acquire knowledge through a combination of lecture presentations, group discussions, film presentations, case studies and individual and team exercises.
Areas of study will include the following:
- Hazmat Materials Recognition & I.D.
- Initial Response Consideration
- Regulatory Compliance
- Incident Command
- Equipment Overview
- Respirator Selection, Care & Use / PPE Respirators
- Selection & Use Of Absorbents
- Chemical Hazards & Toxicology
- Properties Of Flammable Liquids
- Plugging Leaking & Broken Pipes
- Plugging And Patching
- Diking & Diversion
- PCB Emergencies
- Electrical Safety
- Excavation Safety
- Fire Prevention
- Evacuation Zones & Procedures
- Welding, Cutting and Brazing Safety
- Confined Space Awareness
- ERG Guidebooks & Resources
- Walking and Working Surfaces
- Thermal Environments
- Container Handling
- Site Illumination
- Reactives and Explosive Awareness
- Ergonomics and Trauma Disorders
- Hearing Protection
Practical training exercises will include:
- Portable Gas Detection Devices
- Breathing Apparatus
- Encapsulating Protective Suits
- Support Function Protective Suits
- Tools and Support Equipment
- Static Leak Control Equipment
- Pressurized Leak Control Equipment
- Communications Equipment
- Wet & Dry Decontamination Equipment
- Diking & Diversion Equipment
- Exposure Monitoring
Five (5) days.
All persons who successfully complete the program based on the performance standards will receive:
- A Survival Systems Training certificate for HAZWHOPER (valid for 2 years).
- A laminated wallet card.
Refresher training is recommended on an annual basis.
Request Information or Register
[gravityform id=”1″ title=”true”]