This program is designed for those who may be required to participate in the rescue of an incapacitated worker from within a confined space. The course uses intensive training drills to give trainees the skills required to conduct confined space rescue safely and effectively.
SSTL’s industrial courses involve rigorous practical exercises with significant physical demands. Please note that during the training program, you will be required to perform the following activities as a physically fit participant:
- Lift and manipulate another trainee with a second rescuer
- Manipulate another trainee up, down and across representative confined space openings
- Hoist another trainee upwards using a rope mechanical advantage system (1/3 or 1/4 of the person’s weight)
Due to the physical requirements of these industrial courses, they are not recommended for persons who have pre-existing back, joint or soft tissue medical issues or any other pre-existing injury/medical condition that may hinder your ability to participate in the above noted activities.
This program will review safe working procedures for confined spaces. Trainees will learn the knowledge and skills required when planning and executing rescues from a variety of confined spaces. Knowledge and skills are acquired through a combination of lecture presentations, demonstrations and individual and team exercises. Trainees must successfully complete written and practical testing in order to receive course certification.
Areas of study will include the following:
- Confined Space Regulations
- Entry Programs & Permit Systems
- Physical Hazards & Control Measures
- Atmospheric Hazards & Control Measures
- Duties of Entrants & Attendants
- Confined Space Entry & Retrieval Equipment
- Respiratory Protection
- Body Manipulation
- Casualty Packaging
- Managing a Confined Space Rescue
Practical training exercises will be conducted in the Confined Rescue Trainer using the following equipment:
- Portable Gas Detection Systems
- Lockout Equipment
- Tripod Access & Retrieval Systems
- Spinal Immobilization Equipment
- Davit Access & Retrieval Systems
- Positive Pressure Ventilation Equipment
- Respiratory Protection Equipment
- CSA Standard Z259.10, Group E Harness
- Communications Equipment
- Rope-based Retrieval Systems
- Lifelines & Other P.P.E.
- S.C.B.A. and S.A.R. Breathing Air Systems
- Casualty Harnesses
- SKED Stretcher Systems
Two (2) days.
- Trainees are expected to be in a good state of health and physically capable of fully taking part in all program activities. Trainees are expected to participate in all physical training requirements.
- A valid Government Identification is required and must be presented for registration and to the instructor on the first day of course commencement. (Driver’s License, Passport, Vantage Card)
All persons who successfully complete the course based on the performance standards will receive:
- A Survival Systems Training certificate for Confined Space Entry and Rescue; and
- A laminated wallet course qualification card.
Refresher training is recommended every one to two years. Expiry is subject to local jurisdiction / regulations.
Request Information or Register